Resolved: Is there a limit for repeatable join rows on a Form after which I'm not able to add rows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

karilint

Hi,
on my from I list repeatable joined data (with the green +:s and red -:s).

The form is working just fine. By pressing the green + I can add rows to the joined table. I can add several rows and then Save them.

But: after inputting some 140 rows to the joined table, I'm not able to add any more rows. The first time I saved the form I got some errors about arrays, later "invalid token". When I add rows to another entity, it works just fine.

Currently when I save the data on the 140 row form, the Save works just fine (without errors) but there will not be any additional rows to the joined table.

Could this be a limitation on Forms size (bits or rows)? In the Group - Repeat max I have a blank value.

-Kari

You are almost certainly hitting limits of PHP's form submission. There are several PHP ini settings which limit the size of a POST request, most importantly post_max_size and max_input_vars. Try increasing those two in your PHP ini settings, and google around for any other related settings.

Remember that when you submit that form, every single element on every repeat is submitted as a POST input. On my system, max_input_vars defaults to 1000, which I think is standard for a PHP 5 install. With 140 repeat groups, it would only take 7 elements in the repeat group to exceed that limit, and that's not allowing for the hidden "metadata" inputs, and all the other elements on your form not in that group.

-- hugh

Hi Hugh,

you were absolutely right. I changed the max_input_vars = 8000 and posting the form works just fine. However, I think I need to remodel my form structure as this may be a temporary fix for some time.

Thank you for your help!
-Kari

That change should keep you going for a while, but yes ... you may want to have a rethink on your design. That many repeats is definitely pushing the envelope - I don't test with more than a dozen or so on my standard torture test forms, and I don't know anyone else with a site that uses that many repeats. So you may well start running in to bizarre corner case issues if your repeat groups grow much bigger.

-- hugh

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back