Watchful now updates Fabrik

dond

This is way cool. Watchful.li now updates Fabrik. Now it's almost too easy.

Thanks Rob and Hugh!

Hi,
Fabrik use the Joomla Updater so it's compatible with Watchful.

I'm a Fabrik lover and the co-founder of Watchful. If you need something do not hesitate to contact me.

Bye
PA

Hmmmmmmm.

I think we might be interested in some kind of 'reseller' deal on that. We've always mulled over the concept of a "Gold" membership which basically adds a "managed" service, whereby we keep your Fabrik up to date, and ensure that any components we "rely" on, usually by way of some plugin to provide compatibility, like JomSocial, CB, etc., are also kept up to date.

This would be very helpful for us, as a lot of problems we run in to are site specific issues. "Something else" is messing with something we rely on, or has changed the way it interacts with us.

What I would be very interested in is if you had a something like a "Compatibility List", with an additional API that allowed extension developers to provide things like minimum version requirements for specific extensions, and flag specific extensions / versions as flat out incompatible, and the ability to raise alerts.

I think you'd also need to be able to flag an extension to exclude it from your general automated update service, if your client has a "managed" deal with the extension developers. Leave that extension for those sites to be managed by the extensions developers. Then we can hold off doing an upgrade until we are 100% sure we have a "good" release. Virtually every time we pout out a release, we have to go through a couple of iterations, by somehow messing up the release with something silly.

Personally, I would be interested enough in this to help you with developing the 'managed reseller' API, and being your testing guinea pig.

The more I think about this, the more I think I like it, and how useful it would be to a lot of extension devs.

If it worked how well I think it could work, it might be something we would even consider offering at Silver, and maybe even make it an option on Bronze. Depends on what kind of pricing ya'll came up with. I really think that this could save us a HUGE amount of support work, if the majority of our users subscribed to it, and we had control over when to update who, with what.

@inetis - can you find me on Skype ('cheesegrits')?

-- hugh

BTW, I'm also considering a "fully managed" offering, whereby your site would run as a VPS on a dedicated server run by us at Liquid Web, and we handle overall management of the server, including updating J! itself, etc.

I've been looking for some tools that would help make this easier, and I think your product / service is the most promising tool I've seen to date. Along with Akeeba, and the Liquid Web cloud management tools which make cloning a new VPS a one-click task, I think fully managed Fabrik servers would be feasible.

Again, it comes down to reducing support load for everyone - us and the customer. If I can get overhead down enough for the overall creation and basic management of J! sites, it would save us time and effort in support. So we win my making a little bit of money for the hosting itself, and saving on support cost, and the customer wins by saving their time and effort on basic J! / Fabrik / other "mission critical" extensions admin.

But the key there is "getting the overhead down".

-- hugh

OBTW ... a lot of people I know mis-spell 'watchful' as 'watchfull'. I noticed that watchfull.li is free (by typing the URL wrong, LOL!), so you may want to think about registering it and just aliasing it to the real URL.

-- hugh

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Staff online

Members online

Back