Media Visualization Plugin

felixkat

Media Visualization Plugin

Media Element doesn't appear to be selectable, other dropdowns are ok.

This should be fixed, not sure where we are with the actual viz though! Don't think I've ever looked at it ;o

Yep that bit is sorted now.

It doesn't seem to be picking up the mp3 files though, I got a feeling it may have something to do with the URL

Code:
index.php?option=com_fabrik&controller=visualization.media&view=visualization&task=getPlaylist&format=raw&Itemid=

Not sure if that's the 2.x or 3.x way of doing it... I still haven't worked out how the URL's work... lol

Maybe Hugh can take a quick look as I found the original post for this Viz.... so it's his baby. ;)

I just committed some fixes. For some reason it's still not loading the playlist on pageload, but now does when you hit Play.

Time I found a different player though, which will support mpeg as well.

-- hugh

Cool thanks Hugh, just a long list of Demos I'm creating for the new demo server. But this is probably something I'll use myself as well, never actually knew it existed until today.

I noticed that the developer site is no longer active now for the media vis code.

I do get frustrated though when you compare searches between mootools mpeg player and jquery mpeg player. There is so much more development with jquery these days.

I know these things don't have to run on a framework and jquery is possible but there doesn't seem to be a huge amount of activity on the mootools side of things, at least for things like this anyway.

w00t! Check out the new longtail JW 5, open source under Creative Commons:

http://www.longtailvideo.com/players/jw-flv-player/

Supports audio and video, AND supports XSPF (spiff) playlist feeds, which is what the exist media viz uses.

So I should be able to drop the JW player in as an alternative with very little effort.

Also worth noting, the test I just built to fix the existing code used a List I created for testing iTunes feeds. So the same List is supporting an iTunes feed and the Media viz.

Think I might take a few mins and splice JW in to the viz. Will open up a raft of possibilities. :)

-- hugh

Yeah, jQuery has decisively won the market share in the JS framework world.

I still think Mootools is worthwhile, but I'm working on talking Rob into letting me start using jQuery, simply for that reason - there's sooooo much more by way of widgets available in jQuery.

And let's face it, a crapload of J! components already use it. Almost every Fabrik client site I look at these days has it loaded on the page, by some component, module or plugin or other.

So It's probably time J! added jQuery as part of the standard distribution, let admins optionally enable it, and at least have a baseline version that 3rd party devs can rely and standardize on, rather than every component that uses it including their own version.

Personally, I'm not religious about frameworks. I like both Moo and jQuery, and have no issue with using them both.

-- hugh

w00t! Check out the new longtail JW 5, open source under Creative Commons:

Wow that actually looks pretty decent, I don't think I've seen that one before.

And let's face it, a crapload of J! components already use it. Almost every Fabrik client site I look at these days has it loaded on the page, by some component, module or plugin or other.

Yes and a number of plugins now to allow you to intergrate jquery smoothly, all of which wouldn't be there without demand. I have used a couple myself and I must say there's less conflicts between jquery and mootools then there were between mootools versions. :D

OK, I just pushed up a revamp of the media viz, with the new JW 5 player. So it handles audio and video.

I've implemented it as a choice, so the old XSPF player is still there.

-- hugh

OK, I just pushed up a revamp of the media viz, with the new JW 5 player. So it handles audio and video.

I've implemented it as a choice, so the old XSPF player is still there.

-- hugh

Miracle! Playlist works :)

BUT - when I choose JW no playlist is shown.

XSPF is OK - list appears after clicking play button. But width and height doesn't depend of my settings.

Using Chrome.

Miracle! Playlist works :)

BUT - when I choose JW no playlist is shown.

XSPF is OK - list appears after clicking play button. But width and height doesn't depend of my settings.

Using Chrome.

Spoke too early.

After some tests playlist doesn't load.

I'd forgotten to generate the compressed JS, so it was only working in debug mode.

Compressed JS is now in github. We've spoken on Skype since then, and it all seems to be working for you. :)

-- hugh

Yes confirmed, working really well and looks good.

For anybody who is reading this, there are a number of skins that can be downloaded for this. As per my conversation with Hugh.....

[01:58:58] Hugh Messenger: You can add new skins by just downloading the ZIP from there, and uploading it to the plugin ./media/libs/jw/skins folder

[02:05:21] Hugh Messenger: if you come across any really cool ones you think we should throw in github, let me know'

Well, got idea and set "show filters" OFF. Now mp3 -s are displayed again with xspf
EDIT: and finally with JW as well.

Now it works also when I set "show filters" back to "on" (actually I don't see what this setting does).

But there is one issue - in both cases the player shows audio only from the rows that are currently displayed in list view! That means if there are no rows with audio files displayed at the moment in list then the player shows nothing. JW tells then that:
Task Queue failed at step 5: Playlist could not be loaded. XML could not be parsed or playlist was empty.

But the idea is to show all audio files from this list, isnt't it?

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back